Today we are starting a new series - Handling Big Emotions!
This series explores our natural emotional responses and how we can handle them better
This week we are starting with anger. Enjoy the video to explore the story of Cain and Abel and to see a messy demonstraton.
WORSHIP: We will keep the same songs each week during this series, but please head to the songs and stories section for more.
- Lift You Up
- Deep Cries Out
Discussion - During discussion maybe have some blocks, duplo, lego or items to build with whilst discussing. You could make towers and see what happens when the towers get too big.
- Could you sit together as a family and have a chat about what makes you angry, listen to each other and share your thoughts and ideas.
- Perhaps you could come up with a list of strategies together for what to do when you get angry so you don’t explode like the bottle.
- Pray together as a family for God to help each person recognise when they are feeling angry, and to use some of the strategies.
Art Project - We will be collecting in all your artwork at the end of the month to display. (Art can be done using any material, paper or canvas - we will scan in your artwork and return the originals to you to keep)
- Can you draw an image to represent anger?
- Can you create an artistic impression of the story of Cain and Abel?
- Can you let your feelings come out to produce a masterpeice?
There are no craft packs for this series, and each family will want to tailor the activities to suit their needs.
Could you learn the Memory verse. “Don’t go to bed angry!” Ephesians 4:26
Message from Lucy Munton
The activities today are very discussion based, and we are launching an art project too - but let me share some of the ideas I was going to try (all being well) in our home. Do share your ideas too on The Oak Parents Facebook page, so we can all steal from each other.
Crafts to do with an anger theme that we might try -
- Create a stress sock, made from an old sock, rice and bobble. Decorate it and have it to squeeze and play with when your child is feeling angry.
- Scribble and shout - Have some paper and let children scribble and shout the thing they are cross about. Release the anger ( to God) and then rip up the paper and put it in the bin.
- Take an old pillowcase and decorate it. Put it on a pillow and this can be placed anywhere your child chooses to go and have a chat with God into the pillowcase when they are feeling any of the Big Emotions during this series.
Why not share what you've been up to on the Treehouse Parents Facebook Group?