As Christians, we believe the bible to be words spoken to us by God. Put in a different way, we believe that the words on the pages of every bible were given to us by God directly and because of this, many people call the bible the Holy Bible.
This half term we have been learning some practical tools to help us access the bible. We have learnt to understand old maps, different translations, indexes, contents pages and concordances. This week we will be looking at the much more modern tool of Social Media to help us access the bible.
My hope is that once you understand there are different tools and ways for you to access the ‘words of God’, you will use them to gain knowledge and understanding of God to grow your own personal faith with Him and experience God for yourself.
Social Media is an excellent tool that can help you on your journey of faith as you read God’s word for yourself.
1. With your parents, why not search for a free bible app and upload it to your own or a family device now? I use Bible App by Olive Tree, currently,lots of others use YouVersion.
2. If you already have one, why not look up a prayer app and upload this?
3. You might also consider looking for some bible notes/devotional apps or bible verse apps for young people which you can use to get to know God a little more each day? I use ‘Daily prayer’, 6 verses a day with some background music.
4. Lets get a chat going in WhatsApp about which ones you have found the best? You might like to try a few before you find one that works for you?
5. There are so many social media platforms that fill our minds with all kinds of thoughts. Why not choose today to follow some Christians on twitter, Instagram or tiktok, maybe worship leaders from Newday, Bethel, Hillsong or Planet Shakers.
Philippians 4:8 is a great bible verse I memorised in school.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
Why not have a go of meditating on it this week. You could put your new skills to the test by using the index, concordance, contents page or your new bible app to find it and learn and understand more about God.
God Bless, guys, you’re awesome. See you in group WhatsApp chat or on Zoom when we’re up and running.
Becks and the Oak Youth Team.